All posts by trav

At the heart of it all, I’m a fan. A fan of books and bookstores. A fan of fiction and non-fiction. A fan of authors and publishers. And most of all I’m a fan of great conversations sparked by books. All that to say - I really need more bookshelves.

Library Lending Laptops

I just saw over on the the Birmingham Central Library blog that you can now check out laptops while visiting that branch! How cool is that!? The only downside is that now there will be 20 more people crowding my favorite wi-fi spot!

It looks like that the other libraries in the system all have one laptop each to lend out, but Central has 20. You can click over to get all the details.

Book Review: Dream Lucky

Earlier this year, I was given a copy of Roxane Orgill’s Dream Lucky: When FDR was in the White House, Count Basie… and I finally got around to posting a short review over on LibraryThing. Maybe short isn’t the word… punchy… yeah, that’s what we’ll call it. Not short, but punchy.

Batman in Japan

The Book Design Review Blog has a good post on Chip Kidd’s Bat-Manga!, which features Batman as he’s been portrayed in Japan since the 60’s. The post also has videos as well as shots of the covers. I don’t speak Japanese, but I love the way that the characters in the Bat-symbol have the cowl points on them. Very cool stuff!

Bat-manga

Only Hardcore Font Geeks Need Apply

I ran across a new Flickr group the other day. It’s only nine members strong, but folks in the “My Favourite Letters” group are submitting as image of their favorite letter/font. Could be fun if more people start submitting.