I have signed up for my first ever book challenge (I feel like a grown up blogger now). I’m tossing my hat in the ring for J.Kaye’s 2009 Support Your Local Library Challenge. Basically, I’m committing to borrowing and reading 25 books from my local library. I check out a LOT of books from the library, that I almost feel like I’m cheating. I even started tagging all of my borrowed books with JCLC on LibraryThing.
All posts by trav
O’Reilly webcasts
I attended my third O’Reilly webinar today. Titled What Publishers Need to Know About Digitization, it was led by the very savvy Liza Daly. They said they’re working to get the session’s recording up on the site, so it should be up there soon. This was, by far, the best webcast I have attended. Though the one on Why Publishers Should Care about SEO was ok too. I do wish Daly and crew had spent a little less time with the 101 intro stuff (how to scan something) and a little more on the monetization part that they flew through. In fact, I’m still unclear on where any of the monetization is coming from in any of Daly’s 3 examples. I’ll have to go back and look. The next webcast is Twitter for Business, in case you’re interested.
But today was really just another session of 100+ people asking questions (and getting the answered!), that showed just how many cool tools publishers have at their disposal. They just have to be creative. I know that the holiday season is predicted to be a slow one for books, but after today’s session I can see the potential and though things may change a little and new formats, distribution channels may emerge, I really think that books and publishing are going to be just fine.
Much to the dismay of Jeff Gomez, whose book I plan on reviewing later this week.
Book Review: The Billionaire’s Vinegar
Over on LibraryThing, I have posted my thoughts on Benjamin Wallace’s interesting wine-focused book The Billionaire’s Vinegar. Pretty interesting stuff (not the review, but the book).
Bookmobile in Birmingham

The Parnasus on Wheels of the new millinium is making a stop in Birmingham today, Thursday, October 30th. The big Digital Bookmobile truck will be open from 10am-4pm at the downtown Central branch. The 18-wheeler will have demonstration stations and computers set-up to allow browsers the chance to learn about e-books, mobile books, digital audio books, etc.
None of these products are new to the internet crowd. But the part that’s really cool is that the event is designed to highlight and introduce many of our local library’s own digital download and media services. I plan on swinging by to see what’s new!
ED: Thanks to shadowhelm for catching my scheduling snafu. The Bookmobile is in town Thursday, October 30th. Sorry for the confusion.