All posts by trav

At the heart of it all, I’m a fan. A fan of books and bookstores. A fan of fiction and non-fiction. A fan of authors and publishers. And most of all I’m a fan of great conversations sparked by books. All that to say - I really need more bookshelves.

Word of the Year 2008

merriam-webster logoMerriam-Webster has declared the word “bailout” as the 2008 word of the year. It nabbed top honors for receiving the highest number of on-site searches in the shortest amount of time. Last year’s winner was “w00t“. Kinda paints a picture of how things have changed, doesn’t it?

Nabokov speaks

As big a fan of the printed word as I am, I admit that there is just something to be said for getting to hear an author speak. Even if you don’t listen to what all is said, just listening to the accent, voice, etc. is fun. So even after all the little Nabokov bios I’ve read over the years, I really enjoyed this video posted to video.thirteen:

{hat-tip to whoever posted this to Twitter, sorry I can’t find you now}

Ending Title Sequences

Just easing into the week with a fun Flickr collection rolling through on slideshow. It has almost 150 screenshots from various films and tv shows over the years. Lots of fun fonts. My favorite turned out to be this classic by Saul Bass.

saul bass title

World’s Most Expensive NEW Book

Cover of FMR MichelangeloNot what you’d call light reading (it weighs 62 lbs.), the World’s Most Expensive newly published book has just been released. It’s a velvet and marble-covered tome worth around $100,000. It was printed, chiseled, sewn, constructed in Italy and now resides at the New York public Library. It’s a portfolio/art study/biography of Michelangelo and took some six months to make.

So far the Renaissance-inspired publisher FMR has sold 20 books. No word yet ifGoogle Books Scan will get to have a go at it…